Monday, January 28, 2013

Story 11- Identity | StoryCorps | Page 3

Identity | StoryCorps | Page 3

The reason I picked this story was because I recognized the name. " Chunky" is popular in Barrio Logan and  although I don't personally know him I have heard of him and I know that he is known for singing about the neighborhood. I believe he grew up in Logan around the time that my mom, aunts, and uncles did and I have heard stories about how involved he is in the community.

What I really enjoyed was the second I clicked play I was intrigued by the sound of his voice. It has character and was very entertaining to listen to. Although he seemed very up beat about what he was talking about, it was still shocking to hear that teachers would change their names. He made his story funny and found a way to lighten the situation because i'm sure people may not find that funny at all but he found a way to make it funny. I really did enjoy this story, it was shorter than many of the ones I've heard but it was also one of the funniest.

Set aside from the funniness, I thought that it was actually powerful and eye opening. Teachers would change students names to sound more like  names pronounced in english and that is shocking and  wouldn't be okay now a days.

No comments:

Post a Comment